Spiced Orange Cake
Simple, seasonal and insanely delicious. This bad boy is spiced with cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg and drizzled with an orange and cinnamon sugar syrup before being layered with orange curd and cream cheese frosting (orange flavoured of course!).
For the Cake
- 750g Butter
- 750g Light soft brown sugar
- 6tsp Ground cinnamon
- 3tsp Ground ginger
- 3tsp Grated nutmeg
- 9 Eggs
- 3tbsp Natural Yoghurt
- 675g Self Raising Flour
- 5-7tbsp Milk
For the Icing
- 900g Icing sugar (Sifted)
- 150g Butter
- 375g Cream Cheese (Full fat)
- 2tsp Orange extract
- 150g Orange curd
- Cinnamon sticks
- Dried orange slices
- Preheat your oven to 160C/140 (fan) and grease and line 3 x 8" tins.
- Now I find it easier to make the sponges in three separate batches (divide the total quantity of ingredients by 3!) - simply because it makes mixing the ingredients together a little easier but you, of course, can feel free to do it all in one!
- In a large bowl beat together the butter, sugar and spices until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time until they are completely incorporated (don't worry if the mixture looks curdled - this can occasionally happen but the problem will go away once the flour is added.) before stirring through the yoghurt.
- Finally, fold in the flour to form a thick mixture. Then add the milk a little at a time to loosen the batter, giving you a smooth and creamy cake batter.
- If making in three batches, pour into one of your lined tins and repeat the process for the other two cake tins before baking in the oven for 1 hour 20 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean when inserted in the cake. (it may seem like a long time - and it is! - but the slow cooking time takes this cake to another level of awesome!)
- Remove cakes from their tins and leave to cool completely before levelling them with a serrated knife.
- Once cooled prepare the icing by beating together the icing sugar, butter and orange extract until it just comes together. Add the cream cheese and continue beating until smooth. (Add a little milk if the icing is too thick)
- Coat the cake with icing, layering the cake with buttercream and some orange curd before using a cake scraper to smooth the sides of your cake.
- Decorate with the cinnamon sticks and dried orange slices. (Hint - dust with a little icing sugar for an extra seasonal touch)
Subscribe for regular updates on all my latest recipes and please do share with your friends and family!