Summer Fruit Loaf
Summer has arrived - with soaring temperatures what could be tastier than a seasonal summer fruit loaf? Filled with strawberries, raspberries and blueberries this will make a delicious addition to a hot summer's day! If that isn't enough what about a drizzle of sharp yet sweet raspberry coulis for that special touch? This cake has it all - it is super easy to make and is guaranteed to put a smile on your face. To customise just choose your favourite fruits to add in.
For the cake
- 200g Caster sugar
- 200g Unsalted butter
- 225g Self raising flour
- 3 Large eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1tsp Baking powder
- A handful of summer fruits (e.g Strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries - coated in a little bit of plain flour)
- Zest of 1 lemon (optional)
For the coulis
- 200g Raspberries
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Grease and line a loaf tin and preheat your oven to 160 degrees (fan).
- Mix the sugar, butter, flour, eggs, vanilla, baking powder and lemon zest together until fully combined to form a smooth mixture.
- Divide the mixture into three.
- Pour one third of the mixture into the loaf tin and randomly place some of your summer fruits on top of the mixture.
- Cover the berries with another third of the cake mixture before covering with a few more berries.
- Pour over the final third of the mixture before placing in the oven for 50-60 minutes.
- Meanwhile create a coulis by placing berries and sugar into a saucepan on a medium heat.
- Once the berries begin to break down and the mixture begins to simmer, remove from the heat.
- Blend the coulis before straining through a sieve.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool before serving with a drizzle of the coulis.
Subscribe for regular updates on all my latest recipes and please do share with your friends and family!