Pork and Herb Sausage Rolls
A summer favourite with my family, these puff pastry sausage rolls will make a great addition to any picnic or barbeque. What a difference a little bit of homemade pastry makes - filled with high quality sausage meat and of course some fresh herbs, I also like to add a touch of paprika to give a little kick to this quick and easy bake!
For the Pastry
- 250g Plain flour
- 250g Cold Butter
- 90ml Cold water
For the Filling
- Sausagemeat from 8 large sausages (with skins removed)
- 1.5tsp Paprika
- 2tsp Chopped fresh rosemary
- 2tsp Chopped fresh Sage
- 2tsp Chopped fresh Thyme
- A pinch of Salt
- A few grinds of black pepper
- 1 egg (beaten)
- For the pastry rub together the flour and butter together slightly so that the streaks of butter are still visable.
- Cover with clingfilm and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove the pastry from the fridge, place on a floured surface and knead into a rectangular shape before rolling lengthways (only one direction) until the pastry is three times its original length.
- Fold the top third down to the middle and fold the bottom third up to the middle.
- Turn the pastry 90 degrees clockwise and roll out again and repeating the folding method.
- Wrap the folded rectangle in clingfilm and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Prepare the sausage by adding all the herbs and spices and combining thoroughly.
- Roll the pastry into a 30 x 20 cm rectangle and cut down the middle lengthways to leave two strips of pastry 30 x 10cm in size.
- Divide the sausagemeat into two portions and place a layer of the meat onto the middle of the strip of pastry before brushing with your egg (eggwash) on one edge of the pastry.
- Fold the other side onto the eggwashed pastry and push down using your fingers to seal the pastry together.
- Brush with remaining eggwash and bake for 30 minutes at 190 degrees (fan).
- Serve hot or cold.
Subscribe for regular updates on all my latest recipes and please do share with your friends and family!