Garlic & Rosemary Fougasse
Fresh, soft and delicious this French classic is a winner all round. It's so full of flavour - topped with sea salt and fresh herbs it makes a great addition to a main meal or as a snack. This recipe is straightforward and only takes a couple of hours (mostly waiting for the dough to rise !)
I hope you enjoy - oh and if you've tried any of my recipes, I'd love to hear from you.
500g Strong white bread flour
2 - 3 tbsp Garlic infused olive oil
350ml Warm water
2tsp Chopped fresh rosemary
1tsp Chopped fresh sage
1.5tsp Chopped fresh thyme
1 Garlic clove finely grated
1tsp Chilli flakes (optional - for that extra kick!)
- Grease a large container with garlic oil, preheat an oven to 40 degrees (fan).
- Place flour, yeast, salt, olive oil and 280ml water in a freestanding electric mixer (with dough hook attachment).
- Mix on a low speed setting and as the dough starts to come together add the remaining 70ml of water.
- Add in all your herbs and turn up the speed to a medium/high setting and mix for around 5 - 8 minutes - this should leave the dough with an elastic feeling to it.
- Place the dough in your oiled container, cover with clingfilm and leave to prove in the warm oven for around an hour.
- Dust a surface with flour and when the dough has doubled in size tip out onto the surface.
- Using a pizza cutter, divide the dough in half.
- Take one half of the dough and spread it out into a leaf shape and use a pizza cutter to create the iconic holes on the dough - two down the middle and 3 - 6 diagonal cuts. Use your hands to strech out the holes before repeating with the other half of the dough (leaving you with two uniform fougasses).
- Place on a lined baking sheet and cover with clingfilm before allowing to prove for a furthur 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200 degrees (fan) and spray or brush the fougasse with garlic oil before baking for around 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and brush with more garlic oil and sprinkle with sea salt flakes, dried herbs and chilli (if wanted).
Subscribe for regular updates on all my latest recipes and please do share with your friends and family!