Fresh, seasonal and seriously tasty these cakes are sure to not disappoint. Having taken inspiration from one of my favourite ice cream flavours - I set about creating my own unique twist in cake form.
The results were great and I am excited to share with you how to make them for yourself.
For the cakes
- 225g Butter (softened)
- 225g Caster sugar
- 4 Large eggs
- 1tsp Vanilla extract
- 2tsp Baking powder
- 170g Self-raising flour
- 60g Cocoa powder
For the icing
- 240g Butter (softened)
- 500g Icing sugar (sifted)
- 1.5tsp Peppermint extract
- 1tbsp Milk (if required)
- 30g Dark chocolate (very finely chopped)
You will also need: - 12-15 muffin cases
- One large piping bag with your preferred nozzle - I use an open star tip.
- To make the cakes, line a muffin tray with cases and preheat your oven to 160 degrees (fan).
- Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl, until light and fluffy.
- Add in your eggs, vanilla, flour, baking powder and cocoa to your mixture and combine fully.
- Divide the mixture into your muffin cases using a tablespoon and bake for around 15 - 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely before icing.
- Prepare the icing by beating together the icing sugar and butter.
- Once combined add your peppermint extract and milk to create a smooth buttercream.
- Fold in your finely chopped chocolate (small pieces are key as too large and they risk getting stuck in the piping nozzle).
- Place icing into a piping bag.
- Pipe icing in any desired pattern on top of each cupcake and serve.
Subscribe for regular updates on all my latest recipes and please do share with your friends and family!