Happy Halloween! To celebrate I thought I would share my recipe for this autumnal classic! It's super simple to make and tastes great.
For the pastry
- 95g Butter
- 75g Caster sugar
- 3 Egg yolks
- 215g Plain flour
For the filling
- 420g Pumpkin - It is easier to use a tin of the pre-pureed stuff but you can also prepare it yourself!
- 2 Eggs (beaten)
- 150g Granulated sugar
- 410ml Evaporated milk
- 1.5tsp Cinnamon
- 1tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 Ginger
- Prepare the pastry by creaming together the butter and sugar before slowly beating in the egg yolks.
- Once fully incorporated add the flour slowly until the mixture has come together fully.
- Wrap the pastry in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes before rolling out and fitting into a fluted pastry tin.
- Place a sheet of greaseproof paper onto the top of the pastry layer and cover with baking beans (or uncooked rice grains)
- Bake in the oven at 180 degrees (fan) for 20 minutes before removing beans and greaseproof paper and baking for a further 5 minutes until the base is lightly golden brown.
- Remove your pastry case from the oven and set aside while you prepare your filling.
- Make your filling by mixing together the spices, egg, evapourated milk, sugar and pumpkin - stirring until the mixture is smooth.
- Pour the filling into your pastry case and bake in the oven (still at 180 degrees) for about 35-40 minutes.
- Allow to cool before removing from the pastry case and serving.
- To serve simply add a small spoonful of whipped cream to each slice.