Coconut, Rose & Pistachio Cake
A simple combination of flavours put together that produce a delicious sponge cake, perfect for any teatime gathering. The sponge is flavoured with coconut and pistachio and drizzled with a rosewater sugar syrup before being topped with dried rose petals.
For the Sponge
- 40g Butter
- 2tbsp Vegetable oil
- 90g Pistachios (unsalted)
- 25g Desiccated coconut
- 65g Plain flour
- 1tsp Baking powder
- 2 Eggs
- 115g Caster sugar
- 2tbsp Natural yoghurt
For the Syrup
- 1/2tsp Rose water
- 50g Caster sugar
- 50ml Water
- A small handful of dried rose petals
- In a small saucepan, heat the butter and oil together until the butter has melted completely.
- In a food processor, blitz the pistachios until they are almost like a fine powder before adding the coconut, flour and baking powder and blitzing again.
- In a freestanding electric mixture (with whisk attachment), whisk the eggs and sugar together until the mixture is smooth and thick.
- Beat in the butter and oil mixture before adding the natural yogurt.
- Fold into the egg mixture the pistachio, coconut, flour and baking powder mixture.
- Pour into a greased and lined loaf tin.
- Bake in the oven (at 160 degrees fan) for 45 minutes.
- Just before the cake comes out of the oven, prepare the sugar syrup by placing the rose water, sugar and water into a small saucepan and heat until the sugar has completely dissolved.
- Remove the cake from the oven. Using a cocktail stick poke a couple of holes on the surface of the sponge before brushing with the rose syrup.
- Scatter a small handful of rose petals evenly on the top of the sponge before serving.
- This cake is best served on the day it has been made.