Chocolate Orange Cupcakes
For the Cakes
- 225g Butter (softened)
- 225g Caster sugar
- Zest of 1 orange
- 4 Large eggs
- 1tsp Vanilla extract
- 2tsp Baking powder
- 170g Self-raising flour
- 60g Cocoa powder
For the Chocolate Orange Ganache
- 200g Milk chocolate (very finely chopped)
- 200ml Double cream
- 2 tsp Orange extract
- Orange Zest to decorate
You will also need: A Muffin tray, Muffin cases and a Piping bag with an open star piping nozzle.
- First prepare the ganache as it will need some time in the fridge to make sure it is a pipe-able consistency when the cupcakes are ready to ice.
- Heat the double cream and orange extract in a saucepan until nearly, but not quite boiling.
- Pour the hot cream mixture over the very finely chopped chocolate and leave to stand for 30 seconds. (The chocolate needs to be in really small pieces to make sure you get a smooth ganache at the end).
- Slowly stir the chocolate and cream together until you form a super smooth, silky ganache.
- Place in a bowl, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for at least 90 minutes.
- To make the cakes, line a muffin tray with cases and preheat your oven to 180C/160 Fan.
- Cream the butter, sugar and orange zest in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Add your eggs, vanilla, flour, baking powder and cocoa to your mixture and combine fully.
- Divide the mixture into your muffin cases using a tablespoon and bake for around 15 - 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and place all of the cupcakes onto a cooling rack and allow to cool completely before icing.
- When ready to ice fill a piping bag with ganache (which should now be thick enough to hold its shape) and pipe onto each cupcake. Finally sprinkle some orange zest on top.