These American classics get a british makeover in my new butterscotch whoopie pies recipe!
I must admit there is more than just a butterscotch sauce in these great new treats - my secret is putting cinnamon and some nutmeg into the cake itself so that the sweetness is combated by the spice from the warming cinnamon. These have been such a hit with my family and friends who have tasted them and I am very pleased to be able to share this new recipe so that you can try this out as well!
For the Pies
- 300g Plain flour
- 2tsp Baking powder
- 1.5tsp Ground cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp Ground nutmeg
- 250ml Milk
- 1tsp Vanilla extract
- 5 tbsp Butter
- 100g Granulated sugar
-100g Light brown sugar
- 1 egg
For the butterscotch sauce
- 200g Granulated sugar
-90g Butter (unsalted)
-115ml Double cream
For the filling
- 165g Butter (softened)
-200g Icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp Butterscotch sauce
- Grease two baking sheets and preheat your oven to 185 degrees (fan)
- Begin by combining flour, baking powder and spices in a bowl.
- Pour milk and vanilla extract into a jug and mix slightly.
- Cream the butter and sugars into a bowl before adding the egg and beating for around 2 minutes.
- Add in the flour to this mixture in two stages, alternating with additions of milk before mixing for around 5 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a piping bag and pipe onto your baking sheets in small circles.
- Bake for around 12 - 15 minutes before removing from the oven to cool.
- Meanwhile create the butterscotch sauce by heating the sugar in a pan on a medium heat until fully melted and golden brown.
- Remove from the heat, add the butter, stirring constantly until it has melted before pouring in the double cream. Stir until no patches of white cream can be found.
- Leave to cool completely (this is important as it will otherwise melt the butter in the filling !)
- To make the filling cream the butter and sugar completely before beating in the butterscotch sauce.
- Pipe filling onto one of the sponges and sandwich it by placing another sponge on top of it.
- To decorate try drizzling left over sauce over the whoopie pies.
- Eat fresh for the best result !
Subscribe for regular updates on all my latest recipes and please do share with your friends and family!