Matcha & White Chocolate Cupcakes
These gorgeous green cupcakes are perfect for any summer party. The simple and light flavour of green tea emerges after the sweetness of the white chocolate buttercream - it's enough to leave you wanting more. Some of you may be wondering - what is matcha ? It's basically green tea in fine powder form meaning you can use it in your bakes without worrying about finding tea leaves in each bite. (It also, supposedly, has lots of health benefits - I will leave you to do your own research on these claims!) Either way, these cupcakes are sure to go down a treat. Get in touch if you have or are planning to make one of my bakes.
INGREDIENTS For the Cupcakes
275g Caster sugar 115g Unsalted butter 120ml Vegetable oil 4 Eggs 120ml Milk 1/2 tsp Vanilla extract 3 - 4 tbsp Matcha powder 240g Plain flour 2tsp Baking powder
For the Icing
450g Unsalted butter 380g Icing sugar (sifted) 200g White chocolate (melted) 1tsp Vanilla extract METHOD
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees (fan) and line a muffin tray with cupcake cases. In a bowl, beat together the sugar, butter until light and fluffy.
- Then, while continuing to beat the mixture, add in the oil and then eggs, one at a time.
- In a separate saucepan slowly heat the milk, vanilla and matcha powder and whisk together- ensuring there are no lumps of matcha remaining.
- Allow the matcha mixture to cool before adding into the egg mixture.
- Into a separate bowl sift the flour and baking powder together before adding to the egg mixture and beating until fully incorporated.
- Bake for 20 minutes before removing from the oven and allowing to cool completely.
- To make the icing combine the icing sugar, butter and vanilla together before slowly pouring in the white chocolate. Beat until light and fluffy before frosting the cakes using a small palette knife.
- To decorate take one unfrosted cake and, using a grater, lightly grate the cake to leave small pieces of cake that can then be used to sprinkle over the frosting for that special touch.
Subscribe for regular updates on all my latest recipes and please do share with your friends and family!