Lemon & Blueberry Squares
With blueberries in season - why not put them to good use in this simple teatime traybake. Sweet and sharp, these squares will leave you wishing you had made a double batch!
For the shortbread base
110g Caster sugar
Zest of 2 Lemons
3tbsp Caster sugar
For the topping
397g Condensed milk
Zest of 1 lemon
1 Egg yolk
Juice of 2 lemons
- Preheat your oven to 160 degrees (fan) and grease and line a square tin.
- In a bowl rub together the butter and flour before adding the sugar and lemon zest and combining fully.
- Tip the mixture into the base of your baking tin and use the back of a spoon to flatten out.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling by placing blueberries in a food processor and use to form a smooth puree. Place blueberry mixture in a saucepan with your sugar and bring to the boil before straining through a sieve and setting aside.
- Prepare your topping by whisking together the condensed milk, lemon juice and zest before adding your egg yolk.
- Put together your squares by spreading your blueberry mixture over the shortbread base. On top of this pour your topping mixture (which will displace some of the blueberry mixture causing an interesting marbled effect).
- Bake in the oven for 40 mins before removing from the oven and allowing to cool completely (this allows the squares to set).
- Dust with icing sugar and top with flaked almonds before serving.
Subscribe for regular updates on all my latest recipes and please do share with your friends and family!