As an alcoholic drink you might be aware that I am too young at 16 to drink this - but whose to say I can't make it!
Rest assured it has got the seal of approval from family and friends who are old enough to drink.
For those of you who have never heard of Eggnog; it is sort of like a boozy vanilla and cinnamon spiced milkshake (except it is served hot!). It's perfect for cold winter evenings at home.
- 300ml Double cream
- 650ml Milk (Full fat)
- 3/4 Cinnamon sticks
- 2 Split vanilla bean pods (with seeds scraped out)
- 1.5 tsp Freshly grated nutmeg
- 6 Small eggs (separated)
- 135g Sugar
- 180ml Rum (or you could also use bourbon)
- In a large saucepan heat the cream, milk, cinnamon sticks, vanilla and nutmeg.
- Heat until nearly boiling before removing from the heat and allowing to cool slightly.
- In a freestanding electric mixer (with whisk attachment) whisk together egg yolks and sugar until it forms a thick and creamy mixture.
- Strain the milk mixture before slowly whisking into the egg mixture.
- Once all the milk mixture has been incorporated add the rum and whisk on a medium speed for a few seconds before pouring into a jug.
- To serve heat gently until nearly simmering and serve immediately.
- You can store this eggnog in a covered container for around 3 days in the fridge.