Frangipane Mince Pies
With less than three weeks until Christmas, it is time to upgrade your mince pies. Frangipane is a sweet, almond filling that, when baked, turns from a thick paste into a delicious and golden sponge textured treat.
These mince pies are very straight forward in their concept but the addition of frangipane is the star of the show - they are sure to impress your friends and family over the coming Christmas holidays!
For the Mincemeat
- 800g Dried fruit (soaked in a couple of tbsp of brandy for an hour beforehand)
- 130g Butter
- 220g Light brown muscovado sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 130ml Brandy
For the pastry
- 95g Butter
- 75g Caster sugar
- 3 Egg yolks
- 215g Plain flour
For the Frangipane
- 150g Butter (softened)
- 145g Caster sugar
- 65g Plain flour
- 125g Plain almonds
- 3 Large eggs (lightly beaten)
- Flaked almonds (to top the mince pies with)
- Make your mincemeat by placing the dried fruit, butter, sugar and cinnamon into a saucepan. Heat gently until all the butter has melted before bringing up to a gentle simmer, stirring regularly for approximately 7-10 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and allow to cool for 10 minutes before stirring in the brandy and placing into sterilised jars.
- Prepare the pastry by creaming together the butter and sugar before slowly beating in the egg yolks.
- Once fully incorporated add the flour slowly until the mixture has come together fully.
- Wrap the pastry in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes before rolling out and fitting into a mini muffin tin.
- Spoon mincemeat into each of the muffin tin holes until they are just over half filled.
- Prepare your frangipane topping by beating the butter and sugar together before adding the flour.
- Beat in the eggs before stirring in the almonds to make a thick paste.
- Fill the remaining parts of each of the pies and smooth out before scattering with a few flaked almonds and baking at 180 degrees fan for 20 - 25 minutes (when the topping is risen and has set completely).
- Allow to cool slightly before dusting with icing sugar and serving.